- DeltaAid: Hurricane Relief Concert - Tuesday, September 27, at 7 p.m. at the Arts Center in Carrboro, North Carolina, featuring, among others, Malian kora player Mamadou Diabate.
- Putumayo World Music is donating all proceeds through the end of the year from its critically acclaimed albums New Orleans and Mississippi Blues to relief efforts.
- Music for Relief: On Saturday, September 10th, multiple live concerts will air on MTV, VH1, and CMT to raise donations and awareness for the Hurricane Katrina disaster. For details, see musicforrelief.org.
- Not as musical but right at the grass roots is MoveOn.org's hurricanehousing.org which matches up refugees with people willing to provide them free housing. Something I'd certainly do if I wasn't thousands of miles away...
- Finally, if like me you've got pets as members of your family, you might consider an additional donation to the Humane Society of the United States disaster relief fund. Their Disaster Animal Response Teams are now in Louisiana and Mississippi coordinating a multi-state animal rescue and recovery effort.
03 September 2005
World Music for Katrina Relief
Musicians are jumping into the Katrina relief effort - I'm hearing of plans (no details yet) of a benefit show featuring jazz musicians here in Olympia. Others are organizing across the country, with efforts including: