[mp3] Tangle Eye: "
from the album Alan Lomax's Southern Journey Remixed
Read more about Lomax at last year's birthday post.
In thinking about generations of world music, we got to thinking about famous parent-offspring musicians. Although many global musical traditions are passed through family lines, it seems rare that more than one generation attains real global prominence in music. I made a quick list (and admittedly, "global prominence" is a stretch in some cases):
- The Kutis (Fela and Femi)
- The Shankars (Ravi and Anoushka)
- The Velosos (Caetano and Moreno)
- The Farka Toures (Ali and Vieux)
- The Markovics (Boban and Marko)
- The Marleys (Bob and, well, his many offspring)